The autumn season means different things to different people. Some look forward to resuming a routine with children back in school, shorter days with crisp, cool nights, Halloween pumpkins, apple cider, and trick-or-treaters. Others enjoy watching football games or leaf-peeping. In many parts of the country, autumn is a season of harvest. Leaves change to brilliant hues of yellow, orange, and red and while they are breathtaking to view, we know winter is soon to follow.
What does fall mean to you? One writer noted that ‘autumn is the season to find contentment at home by paying attention to what we already have.’ Here are some ideas to make the most of this beautiful time of year:
- Decorate your home inside and out with rustic potted plants such as mums, pumpkins, gourds, and fall-themed centerpieces and wreaths.
- Visit an orchard or farmer’s market for fresh local produce.
- Take the grandkids on a hay ride or try out a corn maze.
- Experiment with new recipes using the fruits and vegetables of the season, such as apples, cranberries, figs, squash, turnips, sweet potatoes, beets, and turnips. Try a hearty soup or stew in the crockpot or Dutch oven and finish with carrot cake or a pumpkin roll for dessert.
- Go to a fall harvest festival or craft fair.
- Take a hike…literally! A walk outdoors in nature is good for your body and mind.
- Go apple-picking and then make an apple pie.
- Make your home cozy with seasonal accents such as throws, fall-scented candles, and pillows.
Thanksgiving is just around the corner…so enjoy autumn’s pleasures before the hustle and bustle of the holiday season!
If you or someone in your family are facing aging challenges, please give us a call at 850-894-6720 or email us at email@example.com. We’ll be happy to assist!
Receive Our Free E-Book - Aging in Tallahassee
Are you considering whether you or a loved one will age in Tallahassee? There are many good reasons to choose Tallahassee for your retirement and aging years and we would be happy to welcome you! Here is an e-book with information gathered to help you in your decision making.